Dr Reza Nejad is the director of Sehat Psychology and a registered clinical psychologist with over 20 years’ experience in academic settings as well as public and private mental health settings. Reza holds a Doctoral Degree in Clinical Psychology at the University of Adelaide as well as Master’s and Bachelor’s degrees in psychology
He holds the Academic Title of Clinical Senior Lecturer with the School of Psychology at The University of Adelaide, and provides placement supervision, coursework seminar and supervision for research projects. Reza is a Board Approved Supervisor and also a Registrar Program Principal Supervisor providing primary supervision for those seeking Clinical Psychology endorsement.
He has been involved in research into the aetiology, prevention and treatment of mental health conditions and has published in various international journals as well as presented at international congresses and conferences.
Dr Nejad is a Member of Australian Psychological Society (APS), a Fellow of the APS College of Clinical Psychologists, a Member of American Psychological Society (APA), a Member of the Australian Association of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy Ltd (AACBT), a Member of Australia & New Zealand Academy for Eating Disorders (ANZAED) as well as a Member of The International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies (ISTSS).
He works collaboratively with his clients and integrates various therapeutic approaches, including Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT), Acceptance Commitment Therapy (ACT), Prolonged Exposure Therapy (PE), Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT), Mindfulness and Motivational interviewing, to create an individualised treatment plan that responds to his clients’ needs. Reza is committed to providing his clients with a safe, empathetic, and supportive environment to explore their challenges and help empower them to live meaningful and fulfilling lives.
Description of Clinical Expertise
- Doctoral Degree in Psychology
- Master of Psychology
- Bachelor of Psychology
Credentials & Certifications
- Registered Psychologist with Psychology Board of Australia with area of practice endorsement in clinical psychology
- Member of American Psychological Association
- Fellow, APS College of Clinical Psychologists
- Member of Australian Psychological Society
- Member of Australian Cognitive Behaviour Therapy Association
- Member of International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies
- Member of Australia & New Zealand Academy for Eating Disorders
- Abdollahnejad, R., Delfabbro, P., & Denson, L. (2015). Personality Disorders and Erroneous Beliefs in Pathological Gamblers. International Journal of Mental Health and Addiction, 13, 376–390 DOI: 10.1007/s11469-014-9535-9
- Abdollahnejad, R., Delfabbro, P. & Denson, L. (2014). Psychiatric Co-morbidity in Problem and Pathological Gamblers: Investigating the Confounding Influence of Alcohol Use Disorder, Addictive Behaviors,39,566-572. doi:10.1016/j.addbeh.2013.11.004
- Abdollahnejad, R., Delfabbro, P., & Denson, L. (2014). Understanding the Relationship between Pathological Gambling and Gambling-Related Cognition Scores: The Role of Alcohol Use Disorder and Delusion Proneness. International Gambling Studies, 14(2), 183–195. DOI:10.1080/14459795.2014.886711
- Abdollahnejad, M. R., Delfabbro, P., & Denson, L. (2013). The Clustering of Psychiatric Disorders in High-Risk Gambling Populations. Journal of Gambling Studies, 30, 933–947. DOI 10.1007/s10899-013-9392-7
- Abdollahnejad, M. R. (2010). Role of Music Therapy in Helping Drug-Dependents. In D. Aldridge & J. Fachner (Eds.), Music Therapy and Addictions (pp.75-87). London: Jessica Kingsley.
- Abdollahnejad, M. R. (2008) Therapeutic Community in Iran, World Federation of Therapeutic Community Journal. Daytop Inc., New York, the USA.
- Abdollahnejad, M. R. (2008). Follow-up Evaluation of Tehran Therapeutic Community, Therapeutic Communities: The International Journal for Therapeutic and Supportive Organizations, 29(1), 57-75.
- Abdollahnejad, M.R. (2006). Music Therapy in Tehran Therapeutic Community, Therapeutic Communities: the International Journal for Therapeutic and Supportive Organizations, 27 (1), 147-158.
- Abdollahnejad, R. (2004). Music Therapy in Iran. Voices: A World Forum for Music Therapy.
- The prevalence of Comorbidities Among Pathological Gamblers in South Australia’ Oral Presentation at 22nd Australian National Conference for Gambling Studies, Launceston, Australia-2012;
- ‘Therapeutic Community and Cultural Diversity’ Oral Presentation at Australian Therapeutic Community Information Seminar, Adelaide, Australia, 2009;
- ‘Follow-up Evaluation of Tehran Therapeutic Community’ Oral Presentation at World Conference of Therapeutic Community. New York, USA, 2006;
- ‘The Use of Music Therapy on Substance Abusers’ Oral Presentation at 11th World Congress of Music Therapy, Brisbane, Australia, 2005.
- ‘Pathological Gambling and Comorbidities’ Oral Presentation at 9th European Conference on Gambling Studies and Policy Issues, Loutraki, Greece, 2012;
- ‘Family Program in Therapeutic Community’ Oral Presentation at Australian Therapeutic Community Conference. Byron Bay, Australia, 2008;
- ‘The Use of Music Therapy in Tehran Therapeutic Community’ Oral Presentation at International Symposium on Substance Abuse Treatment, Blankenberg, Belgium, 2005;
Field Study & Internship courses
Reza has undertaken internship courses and field studies with the world-renowned Centres in the USA and Europe for psychological treatments.
- Centre for Treatment of Substance Abuse and Comorbidities, Daytop Inc., New York, USA, 2006;
- Centre for Treatment of Mental health Disorders, CEIS Formazione, Modena, Italy, 2012;
- Centre for Treatment of Addiction and Mental Health Disorders, Trempoline, Belgium, 2005;
- Centre for Treatment of Mental Health Disorders, Project Home, Mallorca, Spain, 2005;
From time to time Reza is also invited to provide expert critique on scientific papers within his field of expertise. Reza has served this role for the following journal and organisation:
- International Association for Music & Medicine: Editorial Board Member;
- International Association for Music and Medicine: Book editor and article reviewer;
- The American Journal on Addiction, Reviewer;
- International Journal of Health Policy and Management (IJHPM): Reviewer;